Where do I begin…

I guess it started back January 5th, when my friend called to say that she knew of a baby possibly available for adoption.
We waited, hoped, and wondered if it would really work out.  It was a long shot after all.
We didn’t know the birth parents.
The baby was 5 days old then.
Two days later we got word that the birth mom was going to keep the baby.  We had never had contact with her and who could resist a sweet dark haired little girl.
I understood.
And I was fine.  But it all had awaken that baby hunger I’ve heard others talk about.  A new thing for me.

Now, eight days later, We got word from same dear friend that the birth parents have realized that they can’t provide for her as they would like, and though they love her dearly, know that adoption is the best thing they can give their girl.
What a whirlwind today has been.  I have talked with the birth mom, birth dad, the grandma involved, and our lawyer. We’ve met with our social worker today, filled out some papers, and have a stack more to fill out ASAP.
We bought a case of newborn diapers.
I’ve been calling and texting family and friends of our news and asking for their prayers.  We’re hoping this goes smoothly as we need to get this baby here from Oklahoma as soon as we can.
Next week we need to go have our background checks done, visit our doctor to fill out our health sheet, and meet with the social worker again for our home study.  Oh, and put another baby room together.
We are so blessed that the birth parents are willing to fly to Utah to finalize this adoption.  This is the easiest and quickest way.  Thank you, Utah, for being so adoption friendly!  Otherwise we’d be spending weeks in Oklahoma waiting for appropriate paperwork to be filled before being able to bring her home.
So, the day is almost over.  I have pulled out Jack’s newborn clothes to see what we have that will work.  I still can’t believe this is happening!
I’ve heard of other short notice adoptions, and wondered what that would be like and here I am right in the middle of one.  I can see many good reasons for nine months notice.  I just have a few days.  A few days to wrap my brain around being the mom to another human being and loving her and being her mommy.
I’ll have no time to nest!
I’m in a foggy dream, for sure.

18 comments
  • YolandaJanuary 16, 2009 - 10:07 pm

you are a wonderful mom – bring on #2!!

• LeahJanuary 16, 2009 - 10:20 pm

Congratulations! That is truly a miracle.

• TomokoJanuary 16, 2009 - 10:54 pm

How exciting!!! Let me know what you need – girls clothings for sure though! Whew!!! She is beautiful. Congratulations.

• CrystalJanuary 17, 2009 - 2:14 am

Oh, my goodness!!!!!!! It’s like our conversation on Thursday carried to the birth mom in whispers. WOW. I think that was a good-luck conversation. I am so very happy for you. I’ll dig into my box of newborn girlie clothes, if you’d like 🙂
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! yay yay yay yay

• CrystalJanuary 17, 2009 - 2:14 am

p.s. This is one lucky little girl.

• KarynJanuary 17, 2009 - 7:26 am

Yeah!! That is so great! Congratulations.

• BridgetJanuary 17, 2009 - 8:46 am

I am going to cry. This really is such a miracle and so perfect. I can’t wait to see you with your daughter! And if any little girl up in heaven wanted to come down and be doted upon by a loving mommy, so would have chosen you, and I’m sure that’s what happened. And yay! Luka will have a buddy amongst all of these boys now!

• Stephanie CJanuary 17, 2009 - 9:42 am

AWESOME!! Congratulations! She’ll be so blessed to be love by you guys.

• ashleyJanuary 17, 2009 - 9:53 am

HURRAH!!!!!

• BETHJanuary 17, 2009 - 2:17 pm

She is so cute:)

• TandyJanuary 17, 2009 - 3:36 pm

I am so happy for you. Chris’ brother and his wife just went through an adoption similar to this one and it has been such a blessing. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

• TandyJanuary 17, 2009 - 7:08 pm

It is Casey the one just younger than you and I. Their 6 months will be up in April and then they can have her sealed to them. If you go to my blog there is a link to theirs and you can see her. She was 6 months old when they got her. They basically heard about her on like Wednesday and went up to meet her that Friday and the family asked what they thought and they said they wanted her and they said well go ahead and take her today and have your lawyer draw up the paper work. Crazy huh? This was after two parents backing out on them so it was such a blessing. Sometimes the Lord just has great plans for us. 2 babies will be hard but if anyone can do it you can for sure. Love ya and we’ll be thinking of you!

• ashleyJanuary 17, 2009 - 8:16 pm

3 Cheers for babies! Hooray! You’ll be in our thoughts and prayers… we loved the pics you sent by the way… holding our breath & keeping our fingers crossed~
    ashley

• sarenJanuary 18, 2009 - 12:38 pm

Congratulations Aunt Laurie! Good luck with the preparations!

• SheenaJanuary 18, 2009 - 3:33 pm

Oh my heck!! Wow i had no idea you were ready for another little one! So exciting! I just happen to look up your blog so i could call you to do Affy’s 1st birthday this month. But….i guess i will have to wait till you are ready to shoot again. Good Luck…my prayers are truly with you. Call or text me….lost my phone with all numbers….ahhhhh!

• ShaunaJanuary 18, 2009 - 6:12 pm

So fabulous. I’m so excited and happy for you guys. Let me know what I can do to help!

• nicoleJanuary 19, 2009 - 4:30 pm

All I can say is congrats! Thanks for making me smile on a day i so needed it.

• Lucky Red HenJanuary 19, 2009 - 11:05 pm